Security forces said Wednesday raids, which ended late last month, broke up a terrorist bomb-making operation in Xinjiang in Northwest China.
The six alleged terrorists taken into custody during the pre-Aug 26 swoops were hoping to ramp up violence and panic in the troubled region by carrying out suicide bombings and other outrages, police said Wednesday.
Investigators uncovered a large cache of bomb-making material when they conducted operations in Aksu, in the southern part of the Xinjiang Uygur autonomous region, said a notice posted on the Ministry of Public Security website Wednesday.
Police believe the gang made more than 20 bombs that were hidden in three locations around Aksu in the aftermath of the July 5 riot in Urumqi.
The authorities say the group was preparing to carry out suicide bombings, motorbike explosions and detonate car bombs.
Police named two of the six people in custody as Seyitamut Obul and Tasin Mehmut.
The pair were described as the ringleaders of the cell.
Li Wei, director of the center for counterterrorism studies at China Institutes of Contemporary International Relations, warned that terrorists are looking for new ways to spread fear.
"Terrorists have gone underground to organize different forms of terror attacks in Xinjiang, after the July 5 riot in Urumqi, such as the recent syringe attacks in the region and plotting bomb attacks," said Li.
The riot in the regional capital of Urumqi took the lives of almost 200 people. Most victims were ethnic Han.